Monday, June 9, 2008

Philmont Training Center

Well, I finally made it to Philmont...well the Training Center anyway. The trip out was fine. The drive down from Colorado Springs to Cimarron, NM was beautiful. I wanted to stop almost every mile and take a picture. I saw all sorts of deer, antelope and even bison!

I am really lucky, I have a tent all to myself. The tents are huge, with real mattresses and power. I was able to park right out side my tent and the bath house is just one row of tents behind me. This is really good, since you need to drink about 8 liters of water a day because of the altitude...so a bathroom near by is definitely needed for those 3 AM potty calls.

The food is pretty good considering it is camp food, much better than the usual summer camp fare. There is a really nice breeze during the day and the nights are nice and cool. Of course I had to visit the Trading Post and have acquired several Philmont only items. I have hooked up with some nice people from NCAC and the Baltimore Council. We usually eat together. It turns out that Wednesday is a totally free day. I am trying to decide if I should go to Taos or take the afternoon Cimarron tour.

I will try to post pictures later since most of my pics are on my camera and I did not bring the correct cable to transfer them to my laptop. But I can use my cell phone later.

Thats all for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you had fun.....hope you enjoy tehr est of the week there....love ya!